Submitted by Nick Vahalik on Sun, 11/15/2015 - 14:01
Recently, I tried to run some tests locally and the test runner kept silently failing. Ultimately, it was just giving up during bootstrap. The problem was eventually traced to Acquia's frustrating modification of the settings.php file; it only loads when
$_SERVER['DEVDESKTOP_DRUPAL_SETTINGS_DIR'] is defined.
So in order to make it run, you'll need to:
Submitted by Nick Vahalik on Mon, 10/19/2015 - 09:53
So I was reading through some blogs this weekend and came across an article about VW on the Clean Code blog. It's a short post and I suppose if you wanted a summary blurb, it would be this:
I think that argument is even more asinine than Michael Horn's. They knew. And if they didn't know, they should have known. They had a responsibility to know.
Submitted by Nick Vahalik on Wed, 08/19/2015 - 22:36
So I needed to recreate a truncated users table to stop the Drupal admin from barfing all over the admin... the url_alias table has the UID and the user names in it... so why not?
Submitted by Nick Vahalik on Mon, 06/01/2015 - 15:53
Acquia DevDesktop can be pretty slick at times for development, but if you're trying to work with a site that has domain access AND internationalization, you may be scratching your head a bit.
First off, you must correct the entries for the default site (or whichever site you're testing) in the domain and languages tables.
You'll need this patch since Drupal 7.x Core doesn't handle port numbers properly.
Then your site will work!
Submitted by Nick Vahalik on Wed, 04/22/2015 - 09:37
Here's a quick script I wrote to test redirects. Useful if you're trying to... test if your redirects are working properly.
Submitted by Nick Vahalik on Wed, 09/10/2014 - 22:41
A while back I was doing a bit of research on web standards. Specifically, I was looking at the number of documents that were published by the W3C over time. The last several years have seen an explosion of new recommendations with everything from CSS to Web Telephony. Let's face it, the web is here to stay. Technology points to the web. The Internet of Things surrounds us.
Submitted by Nick Vahalik on Sun, 09/07/2014 - 22:43
When I came across swmixer, it seemed it answered 90% of my needs for a mixer for an amateur radio application I was working on. However, the one thing that it didn't support that was a deal breaker was that only one mixer could be set up. This was no bueno.
The wonderful thing about swmixer, though, was that it seemed like it would lend itself well to being more objectified so that more than one mixer could be set up. And that's exactly what happened.
Submitted by Nick Vahalik on Tue, 09/02/2014 - 08:09
Submitted by Nick Vahalik on Sun, 08/31/2014 - 22:33
If you're trying to set up a global hotkey in Windows, you can use the win32con.VK_* codes to set a hotkey that uses a regular character (e.g. Control-Alt-B), but on OSX it's not as clear. However, a quick look at the patch reveals that all you need to do is pass the ASCII character code for the character you want by using
ord() like so:
result = self.RegisterHotKey(hkid,
And now, when you hit Control-Shift-R, the event will fire.
Submitted by Nick Vahalik on Fri, 08/08/2014 - 09:40
I've been in process of building and testing a dual-band 2m/70cm antenna for several weeks now. Recently, my antenna fell and it came time to rework it. A friend of mine was kind enough to loan me an MFJ-269. During the tweaking process, it's convenient to be able to just keep track of SWR values over the bands as well as a place for notes and changes to be marked for each test. Maybe you'll find it useful.